Cochinita Pibil tacos
An easy and quick way of preparing Cochininta Pibil's tacos at home in few minutes.
Cochinita Pibil tacos (Pork in Pibil's marinate tacos),
One of the most representative dishes from the South East of Mexico is the Pork marinated in Pibil's sauce, which is a traditional Mexican slow-roasted pork dish from the Yucatán Peninsula. The traditional way of preparing cochinita involves marinating the meat in orange juice, adding annato (achiote) seeds which provides a strong orange color, and then roasting the meat wrapped in banana leaves. We have prepared the below recipe for enjoying this traditional Mexican dish at home, and it does not take that much time.
Recipe to prepare 10 tacos:
- 2 pouches of Chata's Cochinita Pibil 215gr
- 10 pieces Nixtamalized tortillas
- 1 red onion
- 1 lime
- 2 pieces (or more if you dare) of Habanero chillis (or the chilli of your preference, if you do not eat hot, you can skip this ingredient)
- 450 gr of black beans (optional)
- Salt (preferable sea salt)
- First you need to prepare the onion topping. Cut the onion and the chillis in thin slices, mix them and add lime juice. Add as much salt as you like and mix it. Let it rest for at least 30 mins and your topping is ready.
- Open the Cochinita Pibil's pouches and put them in a pan, heat until hot.
- Warm up the beans on microwave or a pan.
- Heat the tortillas on a hot plate or "Comal" for 10 to 20 seconds on each side until soft and warm.
- Add 1/10 of the cochinita on each tortilla, black beans, extra drops of lime juice and the onion topping, fold and enjoy.
- If you want really hot and you did not find hot chilli in your market, you can prepare the onion topping without chilli and add our Habanero black sauce, which is typical for this dish as well and extremely hot.